Parenting involves making countless decisions, and one of the most important early choices you’ll face is selecting the right infant formula. Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil Infant are two well-known options in this arena. These trusted brands offer various products for nourishing your little one during those crucial early months of life.
But how do they stack up against each other when it comes to parent feedback, what goes into them, the nutrients they provide, and their cost?
In this article, we undertake a thorough comparison to provide you with the information you need to make an educated choice for your child’s well-being.
What’s The Difference Between Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil Infant?
Enfamil Gentlease is designed to ease fussiness, gas, and crying due to mild milk protein allergy and lactose sensitivity thanks to its partially hydrolyzed protein and lactose reduction. In contrast, Enfamil Infant is a standard milk-based formula suitable for babies without any allergies or lactose sensitivity.
Parent Reviews Comparison:
In terms of parent reviews, there’s a clear distinction between the Regular Enfamil formula and Enfamil Gentlease:
- Affordable Pricing: Many parents appreciate the cost-effectiveness of Regular Enfamil, which allows them to provide quality nutrition for their infants without straining their budgets.
- Easy to Mix: The formula’s excellent solubility is a significant advantage. Parents find it easy to mix, resulting in a smooth and convenient feeding process, particularly during those late-night or early-morning feedings.
- Enjoyable Taste: Enfamil Infant often receives praise for its taste, with many babies finding it palatable. This can make feeding more enjoyable for infants, helping establish positive associations with feeding time.
- Facilitates Easy Digestion: Another key benefit is its digestibility. Parents report that their babies experience fewer digestive issues when using this formula, making it a suitable choice for those with delicate stomachs.
- Smooth Transition: Whether transitioning from breastfeeding or a different formula, parents find that Regular Enfamil eases this process for both babies and parents. The formula’s consistency and flavor can lead to a more seamless switch.
- None Reported: I didn’t find reviews that address its reliability and effectiveness as a general-purpose infant formula. There were very few reviews about the taste and smell.
- Effective in Reducing Gas Discomfort: Enfamil Gentlease is highly regarded for its ability to reduce gas-related discomfort in infants. Many parents find that their babies experience less gas and associated fussiness when using this formula.
- Gentle on Sensitive Stomachs: For babies with sensitive stomachs, Enfamil Gentlease is often the go-to choice. Parents appreciate that it minimizes the likelihood of stomach issues, including colic and other discomforts.
- Reduced Instances of Colic: The formula is known to lessen the occurrence of colic, which can be a significant relief for parents dealing with a colicky baby. The reduction in colic-related crying is a noteworthy benefit.
- Decreased Incidents of Spit-Up: Enfamil Gentlease is also associated with a reduction in spit-up issues, making it a comforting choice for parents concerned about mess and discomfort.
- Concerns About Taste: Some parents have reported concerns about the taste of Enfamil Gentlease. While it is effective for many infants, there are instances where babies may find the taste less appealing. This taste preference is highly individual and varies from one child to another.
Related: Enfamil Gentlease Vs Enfamil Sensitive: What’s The Difference?
Let’s delve deeper into the ingredient comparison between Enfamil Infant and Enfamil Gentlease to gain a better understanding of what makes these two infant formulas different:
Both Enfamil Infant and Enfamil Gentlease are suitable for infants from birth up to 12 months of age, providing a consistent source of nourishment throughout the critical stages of infant development.
- Enfamil Infant derives its protein from nonfat milk, combined with whey protein concentrate. This combination offers a well-rounded source of protein for babies with no health issues.
- Enfamil Gentlease features partially hydrolyzed nonfat milk and whey protein concentrate solids from soy. This specialized composition is tailored to infants who experience mild allergies to intact milk protein and have a mild sensitivity to lactose.
Whey to Casein Ratio:
Both formulas maintain a whey-to-casein ratio of 60:40, mirroring the natural protein balance found in breast milk. This balance ensures that infants receive a protein source that is easier to digest, similar to what they would get from breastfeeding.
Enfamil Infant relies solely on 100% lactose as the carbohydrate source. Lactose is the naturally occurring sugar found in breast milk and provides a source of energy for your baby.
Enfamil Gentlease contains a combination of 20% lactose and 80% corn syrup solids. The lactose is reduced by 80% to make it suitable for babies with mild lactose sensitivity.
Both Enfamil Infant and Enfamil Gentlease use a similar blend of fat sources, including palm oil, high oleic sunflower oil, soy oil, and coconut oil. Additionally, both formulas incorporate essential fatty acids, such as DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) and ARA (Arachidonic Acid), vital for the healthy development of an infant’s brain and eyes.
Enfamil Infant includes prebiotics in the form of Galactooligosaccharides and Polydextrose. These components help promote a healthy gut environment for your baby.
In contrast, Enfamil Gentlease does not include prebiotics. While it is gentle on the stomach, it lacks the additional support for digestive health provided by prebiotics.
Related: Enfamil Infant Vs Similac 360 Total Care: Which One is The Best?
Neither Enfamil Infant nor Enfamil Gentlease is explicitly labeled as GMO-free, which may be a consideration for parents who prefer to avoid genetically modified ingredients in their baby’s formula.
Enfamil Infant Offers parents a broader selection of generic brands, with nine alternatives. This can be advantageous for parents who are price-conscious and looking for more budget-friendly options. Read The Best 9 Generic Brands of Enfamil Infant.
Enfamil Gentlease Offers six generic brand alternatives, providing some flexibility for parents to choose more affordable alternatives if needed.
Source of ARA and DHA:
Both formulas utilize Mortierella alpina oil as the source of ARA and provide DHA. However, the sources of DHA differ: Enfamil Infant uses Crypthecodinium cohnii oil, while Enfamil Gentlease utilizes Schizochytrium sp. oil. These omega-3 fatty acids are vital for the development of an infant’s brain and eyes, mirroring the composition found in breast milk.
Protein: Enfamil Gentlease has slightly more protein (2.3g per 100 calories) compared to Enfamil Infant (2g per 100 calories), making it suitable for infants with higher protein requirements.
Fat: The fat content is identical in both formulas (5.3 grams per 100 calories). They incorporate essential fatty acids and similar fat sources, ensuring that infants receive the necessary nutrition for brain and eye development.
Carbohydrate: Enfamil Infant has more carbohydrates (11.3g per 100 calories) compared to Enfamil Gentlease (10.3g per 100 calories), making it suitable for infants with higher carbohydrate requirements.
Both Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil Infant offer the same vitamin content per 100 calories, which aligns with the recommended daily values for infants, including Vitamin A, D, E, K, C, and B vitamins.
Related: Enfamil Gentlease Vs Enfamil Neuropro Gentlease: What’s The Difference?
The key differences in minerals between Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil Infant are:
Calcium: Enfamil Gentlease has a slightly higher calcium content (82 mg per 100 calories) compared to Enfamil Infant (78 mg per 100 calories), which is good for bone development.
Phosphorus: Enfamil Gentlease contains more phosphorus (46 mg per 100 calories) compared to Enfamil Infant (43 mg per 100 calories), supporting overall bone health and development.
Sodium: Enfamil Gentlease has a notably higher sodium content (40 mg per 100 calories) in comparison to Enfamil Infant (27 mg per 100 calories). This variation may relate to differences in protein composition and lactose content between the two formulas.
Related: Similac Total Comfort Vs. Enfamil Gentlease: The Ultimate Comparison
Buy 12.5 oz
Buy 12.4 oz
Buy 21.1 oz
Buy 19.9 oz
Buy 29.4 oz
Buy 27.7 oz
|13 fl oz
Buy 13 fl oz
|32 fl oz
31,0 ¢/fl oz
Buy 32 fl oz
|4.8 of 5.0
|4.8 of 5.0
Sizes and Prices:
- Enfamil Gentlease is available in three sizes: 12.4 oz, 19.9 oz, and 27.7 oz. The prices for these sizes range from $21.52 (at $1.74 per ounce) to $44.96 (at $1.62 per ounce).
- Enfamil Infant offers three sizes as well: 12.5 oz, 21.1 oz, and 29.4 oz. The prices for these sizes range from $18.83 (at $1.51 per ounce) to $40.96 (at $1.39 per ounce). Additionally, there is a 32 fl oz ready-to-feed option priced at $9.92 (at 31.0 cents per fluid ounce) and a 13 fl oz priced at $4.96 (at 38.2 cents per fluid ounce).
The price comparison between Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil Infant shows that the cost per ounce varies, with Enfamil Infant generally being the more cost-effective option and that can be attributed to the differences in the formulation of the two formulas, with Enfamil Gentlease being specially designed to address the dietary needs of infants with mild milk protein allergies and lactose sensitivity.
Related: Enfamil Gentlease Vs Enfamil Enspire Optimum: Full Comparison
Both Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil Infant have similar ratings of 4.8 out of 5.0. Enfamil Infant has received more reviews, with 10,374 reviews, while Enfamil Gentlease has 7,096 reviews. These high ratings indicate a strong level of customer satisfaction with both formulas.
Enfamil Gentlease: It does not offer a ready-to-feed option whereas Enfamil Infant provides two ready-to-feed sizes (13 fl oz and 32 fl oz), which can be convenient for parents who prefer the ease and simplicity of this format.
Can You Mix Enfamil Infant and Enfamil Gentlease?
Mixing Enfamil Infant and Enfamil Gentlease is not typically recommended. These formulas are formulated to address different specific dietary needs. However, there is a scenario in which you can mix them such as when transitioning from Enfamil Infant to Enfamil Gentlease (or vice versa), you might gradually introduce the new formula by mixing it with the current one. Start with a small portion of the new formula and gradually increase the ratio over several days to help your baby adjust to the change.
How to Switch From Enfamil Infant to Enfamil Gentlease?
Switching from Enfamil Infant to Enfamil Gentlease can be done carefully to minimize any potential discomfort for your baby. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make this switch:
- Consult with Your Pediatrician: Before making any formula changes, consult with your pediatrician. They can provide guidance and ensure that the switch is appropriate for your baby’s specific needs.
- Gradual Transition: Start by gradually introducing Enfamil Gentlease while continuing to feed your baby Enfamil Infant. Over a period of several days or even a week, progressively increase the ratio of Enfamil Gentlease to Enfamil Infant in each bottle.
- Monitor for Tolerance: As you increase the ratio of Enfamil Gentlease, observe your baby’s reaction. Look for any signs of discomfort, such as excessive gas, fussiness, or changes in bowel movements. If you notice any adverse reactions, slow down the transition and consult your pediatrician.
- Complete Transition: Continue adjusting the ratio until your baby is exclusively on Enfamil Gentlease. This transition should be made at a pace that is comfortable for your baby and ensures their well-being.
- Follow Mixing Instructions: Follow the instructions provided on the formula packaging for preparation and mixing. Ensure that you measure the formula accurately and maintain proper hygiene during the preparation.
- Feeding Schedule: Keep your baby’s feeding schedule consistent. Maintain the same feeding intervals and ensure your baby receives adequate nutrition during the transition.
- Comfort and Patience: Be patient during the transition. Some babies may adapt quickly, while others may need more time. Comfort your baby and respond to their cues.
- Regular Check-ups: Continue to have regular check-ups with your pediatrician to monitor your baby’s progress and address any concerns.
In conclusion, the comparison between Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil Infant reveals two high-quality infant formulas, each designed to meet specific dietary needs:
Enfamil Gentlease is tailored for infants with mild milk protein allergies and lactose sensitivity, offering gentle relief from common digestive discomforts. On the other hand, Enfamil Infant is a cost-effective choice for babies without specific dietary concerns.
While both formulas receive favorable parent reviews and offer similar nutritional benefits, the choice ultimately depends on your baby’s unique requirements.