As a parent, selecting the right infant formula for your baby can be a daunting task. With so many different types of formulas available, it can be hard to know which one is best for your little one. Two popular options on the market are Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease. Both formulas are designed to provide optimal nutrition for infants, but they have different formulations that cater to different needs.
In this article, we will see a full comparison between Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease in terms of mom’s reviews, ingredients, nutrients, and price to help parents make an informed decision about which formula is best for their baby.
By the end of this article, parents should have a better understanding of the differences between Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease and which formula may be the best fit for their baby’s individual needs.
“When you buy something using my links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. This is a kind of support to me. This website doesn’t accept money for reviews. “
What is The Difference Between Enfamil Neuropro and Gentlease?
Enfamil NeuroPro is a non-GMO standard milk-based formula with added MFGM, triple prebiotics, and HuMO6 immune support, suitable for infants without sensitivities while Enfamil Gentlease is a partially hydrolyzed, lactose-reduced formula without prebiotics, lacking additional features, and not marketed as GMO-free, designed for babies with digestion issues and lactose sensitivity.
Mom’s Reviews Comparison:
- Good Taste: Many moms appreciate that their babies seem to like the taste of Enfamil NeuroPro, making it easier to feed and transition to formula.
- Easy to Mix/Prepare: Moms find that this formula is convenient to prepare, saving time and effort during feedings.
- Easy to Digest: Babies on NeuroPro seem to experience fewer digestive issues, which can bring relief to parents and infants alike.
- Good Value for the Price: Although it’s not the cheapest option, many mothers feel that the quality and benefits of NeuroPro justify the cost.
- Long Shelf Life: NeuroPro’s extended shelf life is a plus for parents as it allows them to stock up without worrying about it expiring too quickly.
- High Price: Some moms find Enfamil NeuroPro to be relatively expensive compared to other standard milk-based formulas on the market because it has many extra features.
- Transition Issues: A few parents reported difficulties transitioning their babies to this formula, possibly due to taste or texture differences.
- Smell not so Pleasant: While the formula itself might be fine, some moms have commented on the scent not being very appealing.
- Good for Gas: Moms find that Enfamil Gentlease effectively reduces gas and discomfort in babies, which can lead to happier and more settled infants.
- Good for Soft Stomachs: This formula is often praised for being gentle on sensitive or soft stomachs, making it a suitable choice for babies with digestive sensitivities.
- Less Colic: Many moms report a decrease in colic symptoms when using Gentlease, which can be a significant relief for both parents and babies.
- Less Spit-Up: Reduced incidents of spit-up make this formula a preferred choice for mothers dealing with frequent regurgitation in their infants.
- Great Value For the Money: Gentlease offers a cost-effective solution for parents seeking a formula that addresses digestive issues without breaking the bank.
- Bad Taste: A few moms have commented on the taste not being as appealing to some babies, which can sometimes make feedings a bit challenging.
- No Ready-to-Feed (RTF) Form: Some parents prefer the convenience of ready-to-feed formula, and the absence of this option in Gentlease may be a drawback for them.
Both Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease are suitable for infants from 0-12 months, which makes them versatile options for parents with babies at various stages of early development.
Enfamil NeuroPro: This formula derives its protein from a combination of 50% nonfat milk and 50% whey protein concentrate. This balanced source of essential amino acids can support healthy growth in infants.
Enfamil Gentlease uses partially hydrolyzed nonfat milk and whey protein concentrate solids derived from soy. Partially hydrolyzed proteins are proteins that have been broken down into smaller, more easily digestible fragments. This is done to make the formula gentler on an infant’s sensitive stomach. The use of soy-derived whey protein concentrate solids also helps reduce the risk of lactose sensitivity, as soy-based proteins do not contain lactose.
The choice of using partially hydrolyzed proteins and soy-derived whey can be beneficial for infants who might experience discomfort, gas, or fussiness with standard milk-based formulas. It is particularly designed to cater to babies with soft or sensitive stomachs.
Whey to Casein Ratio:
Enfamil NeuroPro: It offers a whey-to-casein ratio of 65:35, aiming to closely resemble the whey-to-casein ratio found in breast milk. This ratio can make it a suitable choice for many infants.
Enfamil Gentlease: Features a 60:40 whey-to-casein ratio, which is designed to provide a balance that is often associated with easier digestion and reduced digestive discomfort.
Enfamil NeuroPro: It relies exclusively on 100% lactose as the primary carbohydrate source, mirroring the natural sugar found in breast milk. This can make it an attractive option for babies without lactose sensitivity.
Enfamil Gentlease: The formula includes 20% lactose and 80% corn syrup solids. This combination is intended to offer digestive comfort, making it a suitable choice for infants with more sensitive digestive systems.
Both Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease share a similar fat source, which includes palm oil, high oleic sunflower oil, soy oil, and coconut oil. These fats provide a comprehensive profile of essential fatty acids necessary for infant development.
Both Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease contain DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) and ARA (Arachidonic Acid). These essential fatty acids play a crucial role in supporting brain and eye development in infants.
Enfamil NeuroPro is distinguished by its incorporation of extra features that aim to provide enhanced nutritional benefits for growing infants:
- MFGM (Milk Fat Globule Membrane): This component is a complex structure found in milk that surrounds the fat globules. MFGM is believed to play a role in brain development. It contains a variety of bioactive molecules, including lipids, glycoproteins, and complex carbohydrates. By including MFGM in Enfamil NeuroPro, the formula attempts to mimic the nutritional qualities of breast milk, which naturally contains MFGM.
- HuMO6 (Immune Blend): is a blend of 2’-FL HMO, Polydextrose, Galactooligosaccharides, Vitamin C & E, and Selenium. It is designed to support and strengthen a baby’s developing immune system. An enhanced immune system can be crucial for a baby’s overall well-being and ability to fight off common infections.
- These extra features are designed to provide not only basic nutritional requirements but also additional benefits to support cognitive and immune development in infants, aligning with the brand’s focus on neurological and immune health.
Enfamil Gentlease: In contrast, Enfamil Gentlease does not include additional features like MFGM or immune blends. Instead, it is formulated to be gentle on sensitive digestive systems, making it an excellent choice for infants who may experience digestive discomfort with standard formulas.
Enfamil NeuroPro: This formula includes three prebiotics; 2′-FL HMO (Human Milk Oligosaccharide), polydextrose, and galactooligosaccharides. These prebiotics support the development of a healthy gut microbiome in infants:
- 2′-FL HMO (Human Milk Oligosaccharide): This is a specific type of prebiotic found in breast milk. It serves as a nutrient source for beneficial bacteria in the infant’s gut, promoting the growth of a healthy gut microbiome. The inclusion of 2′-FL HMO in Enfamil NeuroPro aims to mimic the prebiotic composition of breast milk, which is known to support optimal digestive health.
- Polydextrose: Another prebiotic that acts as a source of nutrition for beneficial gut bacteria, further enhancing the gut microbiome.
- Galactooligosaccharides (GOS): These are prebiotic compounds that support the growth of beneficial bifidobacteria in the gut, contributing to improved digestion and a strengthened immune system.
Enfamil Gentlease: Unlike NeuroPro, Enfamil Gentlease does not include prebiotics. This feature, or rather lack of it, may make it a more suitable choice for infants with specific dietary needs.
Enfamil NeuroPro: It is labeled as GMO-free, providing assurance to parents that the ingredients used are not genetically modified.
Enfamil Gentlease: This formula is not labeled as GMO-free, so parents who are specifically looking for non-GMO options may prefer NeuroPro.
Enfamil NeuroPro: There are 9 generic brands available as alternatives to this formula. This variety may offer budget-conscious parents some choices when it comes to selecting an appropriate formula for their baby. Read Best 9 Generic Brands of Enfamil NeuroPro.
Enfamil Gentlease: There are 6 generic brands available as alternatives to Gentlease, giving parents some options in terms of cost and availability.
Source of ARA (Arachidonic Acid):
Both formulas derive ARA from Mortierella alpina oil, which is a common source of this essential fatty acid in infant formulas.
Source of DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid):
DHA in both formulas is sourced from Schizochytrium sp. oil, which is a reliable and well-accepted source for this critical nutrient in infant nutrition.
Macronutrients and Vitamins:
The key differences in the macronutrients and vitamins between Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease per 100 calories are as follows:
- Protein Content:
- Enfamil NeuroPro contains 2.1 grams of protein per 100 calories, while Enfamil Gentlease provides slightly more protein with 2.3 grams per 100 calories. This small difference in protein content may be a consideration for parents with infants who have specific protein requirements or sensitivities.
- Carbohydrate Levels:
- Enfamil NeuroPro offers 11.3 grams of carbohydrates per 100 calories, whereas Enfamil Gentlease has slightly lower carbohydrate levels, with 10.8 grams per 100 calories. This difference in carbohydrate levels can be relevant for parents who need to monitor their baby’s carbohydrate intake for various reasons, such as dietary preferences or specific dietary needs.
- Vitamin D Content:
- Enfamil NeuroPro provides 70 IU of Vitamin D per 100 calories, while Enfamil Gentlease offers 60 IU. Vitamin D is crucial for bone health and overall development. The difference in content may be significant for infants with specific Vitamin D requirements.
- Inositol Content:
- Enfamil NeuroPro contains 24 mg of inositol per 100 calories, whereas Enfamil Gentlease has notably lower inositol content, with only 6 mg per 100 calories. Inositol is a component of the B-vitamin complex and plays a role in various cellular processes, including cell membrane health and signal transduction. The significant difference in inositol content may have implications for infants’ cellular functions.
The key differences in the mineral levels between Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease per 100 calories are as follows:
- Enfamil NeuroPro: Provides 78 mg of calcium per 100 calories.
- Enfamil Gentlease: Offers slightly higher calcium content with 82 mg per 100 calories. Calcium is a vital mineral that plays a significant role in bone and teeth development. The slight difference may be relevant for infants with specific calcium needs or concerns about bone health.
- Enfamil NeuroPro: Contains 43 mg of phosphorus per 100 calories.
- Enfamil Gentlease: Provides slightly higher phosphorus content at 46 mg per 100 calories. Phosphorus is essential for bone development and is a critical component of DNA and cell membranes.
- Enfamil NeuroPro: Contains 27 mg of sodium per 100 calories.
- Enfamil Gentlease: Offers higher sodium content at 40 mg per 100 calories. Sodium is vital for maintaining fluid balance, nerve function, and cellular integrity. The difference in sodium content can be significant for infants with specific dietary considerations.
|ENFAMIL NEUROPRO||ENFAMIL GENTLEASE|
Buy 20.7 oz HERE
Buy 28.3 oz HERE
Buy 31.4 oz HERE
32 fl oz
36.9 ¢/fl oz
Buy 32 fl oz HERE
Buy 12.4 oz HERE
Buy 19.9 oz HERE
Buy 27.7 oz HERE
|4.8 of 5.0|
|4.8 of 5.0|
When evaluating the cost-effectiveness of Enfamil Gentlease and Enfamil NeuroPro, several factors come into play:
Enfamil Gentlease is generally priced slightly lower per ounce across its available sizes, making it an attractive choice for parents seeking a budget-friendly option. However, Enfamil NeuroPro offers a wider variety of sizes, including a convenient 32 fl oz ready-to-feed option, which may be more convenient and cost-effective in terms of preparation and storage.
Both formulas have an excellent 4.8 out of 5.0 rating, indicating high customer satisfaction.
Can You Switch From Enfamil Neuropro to Gentlease?
Yes, you can switch from Enfamil NeuroPro to Enfamil Gentlease if digestive issues appear in your baby like gas, fussiness, or crying. There are two reasons why parents may consider switching to Gentlease:
- Milk Protein Allergy: If your infant is diagnosed with a milk protein allergy, switching to Enfamil Gentlease could be a suitable choice. Enfamil Gentlease contains partially hydrolyzed proteins, which are broken down into smaller components, making it easier for the baby’s digestive system to tolerate. This can help reduce allergic reactions and discomfort associated with a milk protein allergy.
- Lactose Sensitivity: Lactose sensitivity, which can lead to symptoms like gas, bloating, and fussiness, may also be a reason for switching. Enfamil Gentlease is lactose-reduced, containing only 20% lactose and 80% corn syrup solids, making it gentler for babies with lactose sensitivity.
Related: Enfamil Gentlease Vs Enfamil Infant: Full Comparison
How to Switch From Enfamil Neuropro to Gentlease?
When switching from Enfamil NeuroPro to Enfamil Gentlease, it’s important to do so gradually to minimize digestive discomfort for your baby. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make the transition:
- Consult a Healthcare Provider: Before making any changes to your baby’s diet, consult your pediatrician or healthcare provider. They can provide guidance on whether the switch is necessary and offer specific recommendations based on your baby’s needs.
- Start Gradually: Begin the transition by mixing the two formulas. For the first few days, prepare a bottle with a mix of 25% Enfamil Gentlease and 75% Enfamil NeuroPro. This mild adjustment allows your baby’s digestive system to acclimate to the new formula.
- Monitor Your Baby: During the transition period, closely observe your baby for any signs of digestive discomfort or allergic reactions. This can include changes in stool consistency, increased fussiness, or digestive issues.
- Adjust the Ratio: After a few days, if your baby tolerates the 25% Gentlease blend well, you can increase the ratio to 50% Gentlease and 50% NeuroPro for another few days.
- Complete the Switch: Gradually shift to 100% Enfamil Gentlease once your baby is comfortably tolerating the mixture. This transition typically takes about a week or longer, depending on your baby’s individual response.
- Stay in Touch with Your Pediatrician: Throughout the transition, maintain communication with your healthcare provider to ensure your baby’s well-being. They can provide guidance, address any concerns, and offer further advice if needed.
Remember that every baby is unique, and their tolerance to new formulas can vary. A gradual transition helps minimize digestive upset and provides a smoother adjustment. Always prioritize your baby’s well-being, and consult with your healthcare provider for personalized guidance.
Can You Mix Enfamil Neuropro and Gentlease?
Mixing Enfamil NeuroPro and Enfamil Gentlease can be done, but it’s important to do so with care and consideration, as these formulas are designed for different purposes. Enfamil NeuroPro is formulated for standard infant nutrition, while Enfamil Gentlease is designed for babies with sensitive stomachs.
If you’re considering mixing these formulas, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare provider or a pediatrician to ensure it aligns with your baby’s specific dietary needs. They can provide guidance on the appropriate ratio for mixing, as well as monitor your baby’s response to the combination. Typically, a healthcare provider may recommend a gradual transition if there’s a need to switch to a different formula.
Keep in mind that while mixing may be an option, it’s essential to prioritize your baby’s comfort and well-being. Any changes to your baby’s diet should be made with the guidance of a healthcare professional to ensure that their nutritional requirements are met.
The Best One?
Determining the “best” formula, whether it’s Enfamil NeuroPro or Enfamil Gentlease, depends on your baby’s individual needs and sensitivities. There is no one-size-fits-all answer because each infant is unique, and their nutritional requirements may vary.
- Enfamil NeuroPro is a standard milk-based formula that contains essential nutrients for infants. It is designed for babies without specific sensitivities or allergies. It includes ingredients like MFGM, prebiotics, and an immune blend.
- Enfamil Gentlease is formulated for infants with sensitive stomachs. It contains partially hydrolyzed proteins and is lactose-reduced to make it easier to digest and reduce fussiness and gas.
The choice between these formulas should be based on your baby’s specific needs. If your baby has no sensitivities or allergies, Enfamil NeuroPro is the best choice. However, if your baby experiences digestive issues or has lactose sensitivity, Enfamil Gentlease might be the better choice.