Enfamil NeuroPro and Similac Pro-Advance are two prominent infant formula brands that have gained popularity for their advanced nutritional formulations designed to support the healthy growth and development of newborns and infants with no health issues. These formulas are specifically crafted to provide the essential nutrients and vitamins necessary for the well-being of your baby during their crucial early stages of life.
While both brands share the goal of offering high-quality infant nutrition, they each have unique features and ingredients that set them apart, making them popular choices for parents seeking the best nutrition for their little ones.
In this article, we will see a full comparison between Enfamil Neuropro and Similac Advance in terms of parent reviews, ingredients, nutrients, and price.
What’s The Difference Between Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro?
Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro are both non-GMO milk-based formulas designed for infants aged 0-12 months who don’t have specific sensitivity or allergy concerns. However, they take different approaches to infant nutrition:
Enfamil NeuroPro includes MFGM (Milk Fat Globule Membrane) to aid in brain development, HuMO 6 for a healthy immune system, and three prebiotics to support digestion whereas Similac Pro Advance is palm oil-free, contains OptiGRO, which supports both brain and eye development and two prebiotics to support gut health at a cheaper price.
Parent Reviews Comparison:
When considering parent reviews for Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil NeuroPro, it’s evident that both formulas have their strengths and weaknesses. Here’s a comparison based on the feedback from parents:
Similac Pro Advance:
- Easy to Digest: Many parents appreciate that Similac Pro Advance is easy on their baby’s stomach, which can be a significant relief.
- Helps With Weight Gain: Several parents have reported positive experiences with their babies gaining weight while using this formula, which is crucial for healthy growth.
- Easy to Mix: The ease of mixing Similac Pro Advance is a notable advantage for busy parents, ensuring a quick and hassle-free preparation process.
- Sensitivity Issues: Some parents have encountered sensitivity issues with this formula, suggesting that not all babies may tolerate it equally well.
- Taste: A few parents have noted taste-related concerns, which could be a subjective matter depending on the baby’s preferences.
- Good Taste: Many parents have found that their babies enjoy the taste of Enfamil NeuroPro, making it a favorable choice for picky eaters.
- Easy to Mix/Prepare: Similar to Similac, Enfamil NeuroPro is praised for its ease of preparation, saving parents time and effort.
- Good value for the price: Some parents consider this formula to offer good value for the quality and nutritional benefits it provides.
- High Price: The cost of Enfamil NeuroPro is a common concern mentioned by parents, making it less budget-friendly for some families.
- Transition Issues: A few parents have faced challenges when transitioning their babies to this formula from another brand, which could result in temporary feeding difficulties.
- Smell not so Pleasant: Some parents have remarked on the formula’s odor not being particularly pleasant, which might be a minor inconvenience.
When comparing Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro in terms of ingredients, both formulas share several similarities but also have some distinct differences. Here’s a detailed comparison:
Both Enfamil Neuropro and Similac Pro Advance are suitable for infants aged 0-12 months.
Both formulas share nonfat milk and whey protein concentrate as primary protein sources. These sources are derived from milk, making them easily digestible for most infants. Whey protein is known for its high-quality protein content, and the slight variation in the whey to casein ratio between the two formulas may affect digestibility for some babies. Enfamil Neuropro has a higher whey content, which could be beneficial for those infants who require easier-to-digest proteins.
The reliance on 100% lactose in both formulas aligns with the natural sugar found in breast milk. Lactose is gentle on the baby’s digestive system and is well-tolerated by most infants.
Here’s where the two formulas differ significantly. Enfamil Neuropro includes a combination of palm oil, high oleic sunflower oil, soy oil, and coconut oil, along with the crucial DHA and ARA components. On the other hand, Similac Pro Advance utilizes high oleic safflower oil, soy oil, and coconut oil in its formulation. The choice between these fats may be important for some parents, as there are ongoing debates regarding the use of palm oil in baby formulas. Both formulas include DHA and ARA, which are essential for brain and eye development.
Enfamil Neuropro’s MFGM (Milk Fat Globule Membrane) is a unique addition associated with potential benefits for brain development. Furthermore, it contains HuMO6, an immune blend comprising 2′-FL HMO, Polydextrose, and Galactooligosaccharides, as well as Vitamin C & E and Selenium, which could offer immune system support.
Similac Pro Advance boasts the OptiGro blend, which is specifically designed to support brain and eye development. While both formulas aim to enhance these critical aspects of infant growth, the unique blends may appeal differently to parents depending on their priorities.
Both formulas incorporate the beneficial prebiotic 2′-FL HMO, which can promote the development of a healthy gut microbiome. However, Enfamil Neuropro goes a step further with additional prebiotics, including Polydextrose and Galactooligosaccharides. These prebiotics can provide further digestive support and potential benefits for immune health.
For parents who prefer non-genetically modified formulas, both Enfamil Neuropro and Similac Pro Advance are suitable choices as they are both GMO-free.
Source of ARA and DHA:
Both formulas derive ARA and DHA from microbial sources (Mortierella alpina and Schizochytrium sp. oils, respectively). These sources provide the necessary essential fatty acids crucial for infant development.
Protein (g): Both Enfamil NeuroPro and Similac Pro Advance provide essential protein for your baby’s growth and development. These formulas contain almost a similar amount of protein per 100 calories, ensuring that your baby receives an adequate intake to support healthy growth, muscle development, and overall well-being.
Fat (g): Pro Advance has more fat than Enfamil Neuropro, Fats are a crucial energy source for infants and provide essential fatty acids necessary for brain and visual development.
Carbohydrate (g): Carbohydrates, primarily in the form of lactose, are the primary source of energy for infants. Enfamil NeuroPro has a higher carbohydrate content per 100 calories compared to Similac Pro Advance. However, both formulas provide an adequate amount of carbohydrates to fuel your baby’s energy needs.
Enfamil Neuropro boasts higher levels of several key vitamins. It provides increased amounts of Vitamin C, D, E, K, B12, Pantothenic acid, and Folic acid. These vitamins play crucial roles in immune support, bone development, brain health, and overall growth.
Similac Pro Advance, on the other hand, contains more Vitamin B1, B2, Niacin, and Biotin. These vitamins are vital for energy metabolism, eye health, and cellular function.
- Enfamil Neuropro:
- Enfamil Neuropro is enriched with higher levels of several important minerals, including Phosphorus, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, Selenium, Sodium, and Potassium. These minerals are essential for bone development, nerve function, and overall health.
- Similac Pro Advance:
- Similac Pro Advance, in contrast, contains more Copper and Chloride. Copper is crucial for the formation of red blood cells, while chloride is an electrolyte important for fluid balance.
Let’s break down the cost and size comparisons between Enfamil Neuropro and Similac Pro Advance, along with user ratings and the availability of ready-to-feed options:
|ENFAMIL NEUROPRO||SIMILAC |
Buy 20.7 oz
Buy 28.3 oz
Buy 31.4 oz
|30.8 oz |
Buy 30.8 oz
|32 fl oz|
36.9 ¢/fl oz
Buy 32 fl oz
|32 Fl Oz |
32.6 ¢/fl oz
|4.8 of 5.0|
|4.4 of 5.0|
Enfamil Neuropro is available in various sizes, with prices ranging from approximately $1.62 to $1.69 per ounce. It has a high user rating of 4.8, indicating strong user satisfaction.
Similac Pro Advance is available in two sizes, with a price of $1.20 per ounce. It has a lower user rating of 4.4 but showcases overall positive feedback from users.
The cost per ounce may be a crucial factor for some parents when selecting a formula. Similac Pro Advance provides a cheap price per ounce which makes it the most budget-friendly.
User ratings for both formulas are generally positive, with Enfamil Neuropro scoring higher at 4.8 with 10740 reviews compared to Similac Pro Advance’s 4.4 which means that Neuropro is very popular and holds an advantage in user satisfaction.
Ready to feed:
The availability of ready-to-feed options for both formulas caters to the convenience and preference of parents who may opt for pre-mixed formula for their infants.
Can You Mix Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro?
Yes, you can mix Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro infant formulas because they share the same main ingredients, which makes them generally compatible for blending. Both formulas are designed to meet the nutritional needs of infants and are based on similar components such as nonfat milk, whey protein concentrate, and 100% lactose as the primary carbohydrate source.
While there might be slight variations in specific ratios of ingredients, the overall nutritional profiles are comparable, making it safe to mix them if necessary.
How to Switch Between Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro?
Switching between Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro can be done gradually to minimize the potential for digestive upset in your baby. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make the transition:
1. Gather the Necessary Supplies: Ensure you have both the current formula (whether it’s Similac Pro Advance or Enfamil Neuropro) and the new formula (the one you’re switching to).
2. Gradual Transition: The key to a successful transition is to do it gradually. Start by mixing the two formulas together to slowly introduce the new formula while your baby gets accustomed to it. Here’s a common approach:
- Day 1-2: Begin with a mixture of 75% of the old formula and 25% of the new formula.
- Day 3-4: Increase the proportion of the new formula to 50%.
- Day 5-6: Shift to a 25% old formula and 75% new formula mixture.
- Day 7 onwards: Your baby should be ready for 100% of the new formula.
3. Observe Your Baby: During the transition period, keep a close eye on your baby for any signs of discomfort or digestive issues. These may include changes in stool, gas, fussiness, or constipation. If you notice any of these symptoms, consider slowing down the transition or reverting to the old formula for a few days before trying again.
4. Be Patient: Every baby is unique, and their digestive system may react differently to formula changes. Be patient and flexible with the transition process, and remember that it may take some time for your baby to fully adjust to the new formula.
5. Regular Check-Ins: Continue to communicate with your healthcare provider during the transition to get advice and address any concerns that may arise.
Remember, the goal is to make the transition as smooth as possible for your baby. By taking it slow and following these steps, you can help ensure a successful switch between Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro or any other infant formula.
The Best One?
The choice between Similac Pro Advance and Enfamil Neuropro depends on your specific priorities and your baby’s individual needs. Let’s break down some of the key factors:
Similac Pro Advance:
- Non-GMO: Similac Pro Advance is non-GMO, which can be an important consideration for parents who prefer non-genetically modified ingredients.
- Palm Oil-Free: The absence of palm oil may be a significant advantage for some parents, as palm oil is a topic of debate due to concerns about its digestibility in some infants.
- Cost-Effective: Similac Pro Advance is often more cost-effective, which can be appealing to budget-conscious families.
- OptiGRO Feature: Similac Pro Advance contains the OptiGRO blend, designed to support brain and eye development.
- Two Prebiotics: It includes two prebiotics, which can promote a healthy gut microbiome and potentially offer digestive benefits.
- Non-GMO: Like Similac Pro Advance, Enfamil Neuropro is non-GMO, catering to the preference for non-genetically modified ingredients.
- Three Prebiotics: Enfamil Neuropro stands out with three prebiotics, potentially providing even more digestive support and immune benefits.
- MFGM for Brain Development: The inclusion of MFGM (Milk Fat Globule Membrane) is a unique feature that may contribute to brain development.
- HuMO6 for Immune Health: The HuMO6 blend, featuring 2′-FL HMO, Polydextrose, and Galactooligosaccharides, along with Vitamin C & E and Selenium, offers potential immune system support.
Both formulas are carefully formulated to meet the nutritional needs of infants. The choice comes down to your priorities and any specific considerations for your baby. If you prioritize cost-effectiveness and palm oil-free options, Similac Pro Advance may be the better choice. On the other hand, if you value additional prebiotics, MFGM for brain development, and the HuMO6 blend for immune health, Enfamil Neuropro might be the preferred option.